“Witch Killer” Phillip Paul Escapes Washington Mental Institution

 escaped-witch-killer-phil-pual.jpg

Well, to be fair he wasn’t in the institution at the time. He was where you take any 220 lb killer who murdered a woman because voices told him she was a witch.

The state fair:

SPOKANE — A man court-ordered to Eastern State Hospital after being judged criminally insane walked away from a day trip to the Spokane County Fair shortly after noon Thursday.

Sources at the hospital located in Medical Lake said that Phillip Arnold Paul, 47, had been held at the facility after being arrested for a homicide. Spokane County criminal records show only that he has a history of escape and assault

Spokane Valley Police and members of the Spokane County Sheriff’s Property Crimes Task Force flooded the fairgrounds around 2 p.m., looking for the suspect who reportedly was wearing a red windbreaker over a blue T-shirt and blue jeans.

Paul is a 5-foot-8, white male who weighs about 220 pounds. He has brown hair and blue eyes, and sports a goatee.

Needless to say, be on the lookout if you’re in the area. But how did this criminally insane killer escape? He just walked away from staff according to some reports. Worse there seems to be at least an hour when staff knew the dangerous patient was missing, but didn’t report it even though the man had a history of escape and assaulting people who tried to bring him in:

SPOKANE — A criminally insane killer who strangled a woman because voices told him she was a witch has walked away from an Eastern State Hospital field trip to the Spokane Interstate Fair and may be trying to hitchhike home to Sunnyside.

Deputies have been combing the fairgrounds and the area within several blocks of the sprawling complex in search of Phillip Paul, 47, a man with a history of escape and assault in Spokane County in addition to being found criminally insane in the wake of the 1987 strangulation killing of an elderly Granger woman.

Paul was on a field trip to the fair with a group of Eastern State Hospital  patients Thursday morning when he disappeared from the rest of his group. The rest of the patients from the group from Eastern State Hospital have been accounted for and taken from the fairgrounds.

The Spokane County Sheriff’s Office acknowledges they are “dismayed” with Eastern State’s Hospital reporting of Paul’s disappearance. While he was reported missing at 1:14 PM apparently Eastern may have known Paul was missing as early as 11:30 AM, more than an hour and a half before they notified authorities about his disappearance.

“It appears now there was a two hour lapse from the point he disappeared from his attendant to the sheriff’s office was notified of his escape and obviously that’s a concern to us,” Sgt. Reagan said. “We’re concerned that we were not aware that people of his criminal history were being brought to the fair for day trips. As a courtesy we would have liked to have been notified ahead of time.”

“Certainly as a matter of professional courtesy once he disappeared we feel the responsible thing would have been to have been immediately notified,” Reagan continued. “As soon as we were notified within 30 minutes we had saturated the fairgrounds with security people and Spokane Valley police officers.”

Indeed. All you Wiccans in Washington better hide your pentagrams.

With his history of escape, why was he at a state fair in the first place?

Maine Declares Civil Emergency to Pave Way for Mass Immunizations

From the Bangor Daily News:

AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. John Baldacci on Tuesday declared a statewide civil emergency because of the H1N1 influenza virus, paving the way for mass immunization of Maine schoolchildren and other residents.

The emergency designation protects schools and health care providers against liability claims related to their participation in school-based vaccine clinics this fall for both the seasonal flu and the H1N1 flu. “Maine has been proactive in its response to this new flu,” Baldacci said in announcing the proclamation. “But as the school year begins, we must continue our vigilance, which will require a responsible and aggressive vaccination and public education campaign. It’s our goal that every person in the state has access to vaccines for the seasonal and H1N1 flu.”

AUGUSTA, Maine — Gov. John Baldacci on Tuesday declared a statewide civil emergency because of the H1N1 influenza virus, paving the way for mass immunization of Maine schoolchildren and other residents.

The emergency designation protects schools and health care providers against liability claims related to their participation in school-based vaccine clinics this fall for both the seasonal flu and the H1N1 flu. “Maine has been proactive in its response to this new flu,” Baldacci said in announcing the proclamation. “But as the school year begins, we must continue our vigilance, which will require a responsible and aggressive vaccination and public education campaign. It’s our goal that every person in the state has access to vaccines for the seasonal and H1N1 flu.”

[…]

Hundreds of cases of H1N1 have been confirmed in Maine, with many times that number of cases presumed. The virus is linked to one death in Maine. Although symptoms in this country have been relatively mild in most cases, public health officials predict a surge in the number of cases and possibly in the severity of the symptoms beginning this fall.

Unlike the seasonal flu, H1N1 thus far has proved to be more dangerous to young people, including children, teens, pregnant women and young adults. School-age children, in particular, are seen as a primary source of transmission to other vulnerable populations.

Sounds like the government is worried.

h/t (and condolences) to Survival Blog

One Million New Guns Added to American Homes in August!

To me this means people are getting nervous (as well they should be) about the financial and political situation we face today. AmmoLand takes a decidedly more optimistic tone in their report, suggesting that gun owners are “voting with their wallets” by supporting the gun industry which everyone expects will come under attack sometime after the 2010 elections if Democrats can hold their seats:

Washington, DC –(AmmoLand.com)- Data released by the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) reported 1,074,757 checks in August 2009, a 12.3 percent increase from the 956,872 reported in August 2008.

So far that is roughly 9,076,205 gun bought this year! The total is probably more as NICS background checks may cover the purchase of more than one gun at a time.

This latest jump in background checks show that Americans are solidly in-favor of keeping firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens and clearly shows that proponents claiming the USA wants more gun control are blatantly wrong.

The increased trend of Americans buying firearms at a record pace was once thought to be a one time fluke caused by fears of the new Obama administration expressed lust for more gun control. But now 10 months in and the wrongly named “fear buying” has now become the norm as law abiding US citizen exercise their constitutional right to keep and bear firearms by the millions every month with no sign of slowing down.

The bulk of the buying has been concentrated on the following types of guns or calibers:

* Semi Auto Handguns
* Revolvers
* Ar15s and all variants of the Black Rifle
* .50 Caliber

Frankly these are survival weapons (although I myself don’t recommend complex weapons systems like ARs or even semi-auto pistols for survivalists unless they are extremely proficient) which are being stockpiled for the bad times that seem to be ahead. With high unemployment and low growth, plus shortages of food coming down the pike due to expected crop blights and ethanol mandates, many people are looking toward the future more uncertainly. America just sold the last of our surplus wheat and the dollar’s value is collapsing. The possibilities of food shortages or financial calamity are just too high for people to ignore the possibility that they may see civil unrest in their near future, and guns are a necessity when law and order break down.

Ammunition shortages are also still being reported. People are getting prepared.

h/t Survival Blog

New Haven Man Arrested with Explosives and Assault Rifle

marlon-reddick-new-haven-pipebomer.jpg

A New Haven, CT man was found in West Haven with what looked like home invasion gear, with the addition of enough homemade explosives to destroy a house he did hit:

A New Haven man is under arrest after police found pipe bombs and a weapon in his vehicle late Saturday,

Marlon Reddick, 44 was stopped by West Haven Police last night around 11:00 p.m. in the area of Elm Street and Kimberly Avenue for equipment violations.

During the motor vehicle stop, officers observed a clear plastic bag containing pills in the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

After Reddick claimed no knowledge of the pills, the officers asked him to exit the vehicle as they continued their investigation, according to a police report.

As officers searched the vehicle, they discovered a duffle bag behind the front seat.  An officer observed a metal cylinder from the duffle bag and upon closer inspection observed it to have a wick.  The officers believed the item was an explosive, and immediately removed themselves and Reddick from the area.

[…]

Also located in the vehicle were a sawed off shotgun, bullet proof vest, dark colored clothing and a ski mask. The vehicle, an older model Ford F150 truck has been impounded and the investigation is continuing.

Like I said a sawed off, a bullet proof vest and a ski mask sounds like basic home invasion gear. A sawed off shotgun is popular among gang bangers and other hoods who (mistakenly) believe they’re easier to manage, although they are more concealable than regular shotguns. The vest tells me he might have expected to go up against someone with a gun, and since Connecticut isn’t what we’d call a gun culture I think it’s safe to assume he may have been looking to rip off a dealer or “put in work” against another gang if he himself is a gang member. That may also explain the pipe bomb overkill, as it would send a powerful message to a gang to have some of their homies were not just killed, but blown up.

Since Reddick himself was arrested on drug charges as well, I think it probably is gang/drug and not terror related. I once went to West Haven for a job interview and it was pretty rough from what I saw. I passed through New Haven a few dozen times and it was also no picnic. Crips, Bloods and Latin Kings all have footholds in the area and MS-13 had been making some deep inroads into Connecticut when I lived there. With multiple colleges and many affluent areas, CT as a whole has a lucrative drug trade that police have never gotten a handle on.

If this wasn’t an example of some seriously hardcore bangin’ I’d be surprised, but it is still worth watching.

h/t N.T.A.

Chicago Man Gets Five Years for Child Molestation and Child Porn

We’ll be hearing about him again I’m sure, in about two years when he gets out on good behavior. From ChicagoBreakingNews.com:

A 20-year-old Wheaton man was sentenced today to 5 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child and possession of child pornography.
Joshua White, of the 1200 block of Reading Court, was jogging near his home March 19 when he approached a girl on a bicycle who was younger than 13 and forced her to touch him, said Assistant DuPage County State’s Atty. Cathy DeLaMar. He was arrested a short time later by police.

The charge of child pornography came after Wheaton police determined that White had used the Internet in August 2008 to share illegal material. White was sentenced to 3 years for sexual abuse and 2 years for possession of child pornography. He will serve the sentences consecutively. He has to register as a sex offender after he is released from prison.

Only three years for forcing a little girl to rub his genitals and two for sending out child porn to his fellow perverts. It’s no wonder Chicago is a hell hole. If you have children get out of Chicago.

h/t DodiaFae from Pagans Against Child Abuse